California Professional Nutrition Education and Training (Cal-Pro-NET)
The California Professional Nutrition Education and Training (Cal-Pro-NET) network is a collaborative effort between the California Department of Education and institutions of higher learning that represent the three public college systems in the state.
Cal-Pro-NET serves as a statewide resource for professional development and training to help school nutrition personnel meet the program requirements for serving nutritious school meals. The UC Davis Center for Nutrition in Schools is designated as the Cal-Pro-NET Center representing the University of California system, providing training and resource materials targeted mainly to established school nutrition directors, nutrition education specialists, and school administrators.
- Focus on Food: Nutrition and Health for School Nutrition Programs
- Food Safety for Child Nutrition Programs
- Successful Menu Planning: USDA Standards for School Meals
- Upcoming Webinars
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (2016)
- Nutrition Education in School Nutrition Programs (2016)
- Serving Vegetarian Meals in School Nutrition Programs (2016)
- How to Meet Professional Standards Using the Focus on Food Curriculum (2016)
- How to Start a School Salad Bar (2015)
- Offer versus Serve for Breakfast (2014)
- Offer versus Serve for Lunch (2014)
- Calculating the Contribution of Recipes Using the Food Buying Guide (2014)
- Verifying Product Formulation Statements for Purchased Food Items (2014)
- Meal Claiming Requirements (2012)
- Menu Production Records (2012)
- Offer Vs Serve (2012)
- Requirements for Transporting Meals (2012)
- Salad Bars: A Successful Menu Planning Tool (2012)
New USDA Professional Standards were recently issued in regulation and became effective on July 1st, 2015. The purpose of the Professional Standards is to ensure that all school nutrition professionals have the knowledge and training needed to serve healthful and safe meals to children in school nutrition programs.
Below are links to external sites with content that may be of use to individuals seeking information about Cal-Pro-NET.
- Healthy Meals Resource System Child Nutrition Resources (Outside Source)
- Team Nutrition Resources for School Nutrition Professionals (Outside Source)
- Current USDA Recipes for Schools (Outside Source)
- Full list of external resources relevant to nutrition in schools
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or
(3) email: email@example.com.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.