Below are external online resources related to the mission of the Center for Nutrition in Schools.
The Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee was issued in February 2015 and is available at the link below. This document served as an advisory report to the Secretaries of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for use as they developed the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2015, which was released jointly by HHS and USDA in 2016.
- The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2015
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines Executive Summary
- Dietary Guidelines Digital Press Kit
- Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee
MyPlate helps translate current nutrition guidelines into recommended food and meal choices for individuals.
HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms
- The HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms description and vision
- HUSSC Smarter Lunchrooms Self-Assessment
Resources to help schools get involved in the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms are available at the following links:
- HUSSC Application Criteria & Guidance
- HUSSC General Criteria
- HUSSC Smarter Lunchrooms Self-Assessment
- HUSSC Training and Technical Assistance
In order to participate in the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms, your school must first become a Team Nutrition School. Team Nutrition schools gain access to resources that assist Child Nutrition Services professionals in providing healthier meals for their students.
The Local School Wellness Policy requirement, mandated by the United States Department of Agriculture through the Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004, and further strengthened by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, requires the development and implementation of a school wellness policy to establish a school environment that promotes students’ health, well-being, and ability to learn by supporting healthy eating and physical activity.
- Team Nutrition information on Wellness Policies
- Healthy Meals Resource System Wellness Policy Resources
- CDC, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Wellness Policy Tools and Resources
In California, federal requirements for foods sold on school campuses must be integrated with state requirements. The California Department of Education provides resources and information to assist in understanding these requirements.
The Healthy Meals Resource System
The Healthy Meals Resource System is an excellent resource for Child Nutrition Program professionals. This resource is a gateway to additional information on the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms, Wellness Policies, Professional Standards, and many other topics.
Meal Talk is a forum where professionals involved in School Nutrition Programs can communicate and share resources.
California Farmer Marketplace
The California Farmer Marketplace is a free statewide website developed by the California Department of Food and Agriculture, featuring California produce, grains, meats, and other products for sale. The Marketplace offers farmers the opportunity to post products and connect directly with school food service to increase the amount of California grown and produced foods on school lunch trays.
Food Safety Resources
Food safety is a critical priority for staff and are preparing and serving school meals. The following are online resources for food safety materials and information.
- California Healthy Kids Resource Center Food Safe School Framework
- California Retail Food Code (CalCode)
- FDA Bad Bug Book
- FDA Employee Health and Personal Hygiene Handbook
- FDA Food Code
- FDA, USDHHS, CFSAN: Managing Food Safety: A Manual for the Voluntary Use of HACCP Principles for Operators of Food Service and Retail
- Fight Bac!
- Food Allergy Research and Education
- Iowa State Extension Food Safety
- Kansas State University Center of Excellence Food Safety Research in Child Nutrition Programs
- National Coalition for Food Safe Schools
- National Food Service Management Institute
- National Education Association Health Information Network: The Food Allergy Book What School Employees Need to Know
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service Food Safety Resources
- USDA National Agricultural Library Allergies and Food Sensitivities
- USDA National Agricultural Library Food Safety Research Information Office
- Healthy Meals Resource System Child Nutrition Resources
- Team Nutrition Resources for School Nutrition Professionals
- Current USDA Recipes for Schools
- Cooperative Extension ANR Catalog
- California Healthy Kids Resource Center
- Ethnic and Cultural Nutrition-Related Resources
- Healthy Meals Resource System, Nutrition Education Resource List
- Harvest of the Month Educator Newsletter
- Farm to School, Urban & Environmental Policy Institute at Occidental College
- Center for Ecoliteracy
- Farm to School Research & Extension Program, Cornell University
- National Gardening Association
- USDA Healthy Meals Resource System (HMRS)
- Local Harvest
- California School Garden Network
- Kids Gardening (National Gardening Association)
- USDA People’s Garden
- Grow It - USDA
- Growing Healthy Habits - University of Maryland
- Junior Master Gardener
- Institute of Child Nutrition (ICN) Training Opportunities
- ICN Online Course System
- School Nutrition Association Career and Education, School Nutrition University
Other School Nutrition Related Resources
- University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Cooperative Extension
- Let’s Move Initiative
- USDA News
- University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Feeling Fine Online
- USDA National Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Information Center
- Learn more about planting a garden
- Sign up for email updates from First Lady Michelle Obama
- Join Let's Move! Here
- Sign up to be a part of the Chefs Move to Schools initiative
- Let's Move Salad Bars to Schools
- Looking for new ideas to take action to raise a healthier generation of kids? Find 5 steps for success for parents, schools, mayors & local officials, community leaders, chefs, kids, and healthcare providers here
USDA Professional Standards
The new USDA continuing education requirements for child nutrition program personnel are organized into four Key Areas, listed below. By selecting each specific topic within these Key Areas, a list of resources is provided for each of these topics. All of the links below can be accessed through the USDA Professional Standards website. This list is not all encompassing of the resources available there.
Federal Register, Section 7 CFR Parts 210 and 235
This page is an easy-to-search, web-based version of the Professional Standards Final Rule on the Federal Register website. This page also provides options for downloading and printing the Final Rule.
- Professional Standards for State and Local School Nutrition Programs Personnel as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010
USDA Professional Standards for All School Nutrition Program Employees
This is a Professional Standards summary flyer created by the USDA, which includes hiring standards for both Local and State Directors, as well as training standards for all employees.
Professional Standards Learning Objectives
The Professional Standards Learning Objectives are a resource for school nutrition employees and trainers. It lists training topics in the four Key Areas of Nutrition, Operations, Administration and Communications/Marketing. Each Key Area has several Key Topics and specific training subjects with objectives that will assist those who are planning or tracking training.
USDA Professional Standards Brochure
USDA Food and Nutrition Service Resources
- Learn more about the Seamless Summer Option for feeding children, even when school is out
- Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
CDE Management Bulletin
School Nutrition Association Resources
- School Nutrition Association Resources about the USDA Professional Standards, including summaries, FAQs, learning topics and objectives, and training guidelines
- Upcoming meetings and events for the school nutrition community
California Department of Education Resources
- Professional Standards for SNP Personnel
Includes information, regulations, and resources for School Nutrition Program (SNP) personnel to implement the professional standards.
- Smarter Lunchrooms Movement
"The Smarter Lunchrooms Movement" provides information on the Smarter Lunchrooms Movement in California, training and Webinar schedules, and best practice resources.
- Local School Wellness Policy Information and Resources
Training and Education Needs Assessment
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- School Health Guidelines
- School Health Guidelines to Promote Healthy Eating and Physical Activity
- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child