Bundle up this cold winter with a perfect bowl of warm soup! Stock up on soups and stews filled with hearty and nutritious ingredients like vegetables, fruits, and fiber to satisfy your winter cravings.
Many soups are one-pot soup or stew recipe. One-pot recipes are great for preparing in a large stock pot, slow-cooker, or Instant Pot! Soups and stews also can be made ahead of time and frozen for future meals when you’re on-the-go. Additionally, any leftover meat from previous meals or produce remaining in your fridge can be combined to make a delicious pot of soup.
Modify your favorite soup or stew recipe make it your own! The versatility of soups make them an easy way to include a variety vegetables into your meal. Try adding some seasonal produce, like sweet potato, winter squash, and leeks, into your soup for added nutrients and new flavors. Some popular soups for the holiday season include a pureed root vegetable soup with mixture of carrots, parsnip and celery, winter squash soup, or a rich and hearty bean soup.
As the winter season arrives, warm soups are a comfort food for everyone. Every family has their own personal favorites and version of what makes a delicious soup! Here are some ideas to consider the next time you decide to make a soup or stew.
- Make it Mexican-inspired: Include a wide array of vegetables such as corn, onions, zucchini, bell peppers, and tomatoes, and add spices such as oregano, garlic, and cumin for extra flavor to your broth. Make it a meatless meal by including black beans as a source of protein. Top it off with lime juice and tortilla strips for added flavor and crunch!
- Keep it Classic: Chicken broth, egg noodles, carrots, celery, and thyme are all ingredients to a comforting chicken soup. Change up your usual chicken soup recipe by adding in extra vegetables such as corn, spinach, peas, or potatoes. You can also replace egg noodles with zucchini noodles if you prefer! Whether you’re feeling under the weather or just want a classic meal, chicken noodle soup is a recipe that everyone loves!
- Fill up on Fiber: Lentil and quinoa soup are both packed with fiber and protein to make for the perfect vegetarian soup. Add kale or spinach for extra color and nutrients!
- Enjoy a Creamy Chowder: If you and your family prefer thick and chunky soups, try making a seafood, corn, or vegetable chowder! Pureed potatoes or flour can provide a thick and creamy texture to your soup. Mushrooms can also be added alongside leeks, carrots, or any other vegetables of your choice!
- Prepare a Tasty Pot of Stew: Beef stew, which can include beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, corn, and a variety of herbs and spices, is a common favorite and makes for a balanced combination of tender meat and nutrient-packed vegetables. Other root vegetables such as turnips and parsnips are also great additions to your stew!
For more healthy soup recipes to make this winter, visit https://fruitsandveggies.org/stories/soups-5-soups-try-winter/